I know I haven’t posted a budget meal in a while but it has been a bit difficult for me to make meals for 4 when I never know how many I am going to have here. At any given time it could be 2 or 6 with no warning *sigh* the joys of kids right? This was a meal that I knew could be made and if it wasn’t all eaten I could freeze the rest. Yes, I love soup!!
I actually chose to make this because I was thinking about my Dad. I miss his little comments “What experiment are we having tonight” “I love being a guinea pig” “Can we please have something besides chicken I am going to sprout feathers and cluck” My Dad was a crack up! One of the things I knew I could make any time and he would be happy about it was split pea soup. He LOVED it. I haven’t made it since he passed away last year so this one was for my Daddy.
- 8 to 10 parsley stems
- 8 sprigs thyme
- 1 pound green split peas, picked over and rinsed
- 1 large leek, white and light green part only, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 pounds ham, cubed
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Crusty bread, for serving (optional)