This week for Food Star Friday I was able to combine a recipe for something I have wanted to make for quite some time, with one of my favorite things to do on the weekend. Today’s post is Tyler’s Ultimate Chicken Nachos! I mean what could possibly go better together than a big plate of spicy nachos and a night time NASCAR race? On top of that we had my Watermelon Blackberry Jargaritas to wash it all down!
Tyler Florence is one of my favorite Food Network stars. Yes, the fact that he is pretty dang cute doesn’t hurt but I really do like his food. I have made several of his recipes for Food Star Friday. They never disappoint.
This weekend was a strange one. Lately I have been just flying by the seat of my pants when it comes down to what we are eating. Not knowing how many I am cooking for, or what time they will be here, and honestly being a bit burnt out from the week, has just caused me to slack off a bit. For some reason I decided to jump on the ball and get a menu plan going!
I knew I had to come up with a drink for Tipsy Tuesday, and with my son (the bartender of all bartenders) being out of town, I knew I had to really plan something good to drink. I guess that got my creative juices flowing and away I went! I still have a few things left on the plan, including a couple of desserts! I know, I am so excited!! I never make dessert, so this will be a true treat.
Now on to the nachos. These were very very good. It takes a little bit of work but not a whole lot. I had preshredded my chicken when I brought it home from the store. I bought two rotisserie chickens because the recipe called for a 3 pound chicken, and the ones at my store were just a little over 1 1/2 pounds. By shredding it as soon as I got home it saved sooooo much time when I got down to the nitty gritty of making this recipe. I plan on doing that will all of my chicken that needs to be shredded. Just do it when you are already in the shopping/organizing/putting away mood.
These didn’t last very long. I would love to have some more right now with one of those jargaritas!!
- 4 medium tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 2 jalapenos, stemmed
- 1/2 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 handful fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon toasted cumin seeds
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock, at room temperature
- 4 cups shredded Jack cheese
- 1 (1-pound) bag salted corn tortilla chips
- 1 (3-pound) whole roasted chicken, meat finely shredded, skin and bones discarded
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 green onions, white and green parts, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 2 handfuls fresh cilantro leaves, hand shredded
- 2 limes, juiced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sour cream and guacamole, for serving