Last week, for Food Star Friday, I made Giada De Laurentiis’s Shrimp Fra Diavolo. But I wanted to make a pasta to go with it (of course since I am a pastaholic). I knew I had lemon and basil, and figured they would play well together along with the flavors of the shrimp. They really really did. As a matter of fact I loved the pasta so much I had leftovers that night and added some bacon to it topped with a fried egg (fried eggs are another new obsession). I seriously want to come up with more recipes using this pasta dish as a base, I really really love the freshness of the lemon and basil together.
The family felt the same way. Kevin always tell me I make too much pasta (ha like there is such a thing), but this did not end up being too much after everyone had seconds. I was lucky I hid a little bit of it so I could enjoy my late night pasta dish!
If you are looking for a side dish for a fish or seafood recipe I would highly recommend this one!
Lemon Basil Pasta
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup grated Parmesan (a couple good handfuls)
- 3 lemons, juiced and one zested
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, 1/4 cup chopped, 1/4 cut into chiffonade for garnish
- Cracked black pepper
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water according to package instructions. Reserve a cup of the starchy pasta water to thin the sauce if necessary, drain pasta and return to the pot. While the pasta is cooking, whisk the oil, Parmesan, and lemon juice in a large bowl to blend.
- Toss the pasta with the lemon sauce, add a 1/4 cup of the reserved pasta water at a time as needed to moisten. Stir in the 1/4 cup chopped basil. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with lemon zest and remaining basil.